Interview with Liberty University Pitching Coach Matt WilliamsMay 31, 2021
Throwing ProgramsJune 2, 2021
By: Brendan Dougherty
Want College Exposure? Sign-up for our Summer Showcase June 29!
What is a quality at-bat? We hear the phrase used often by hitters at all levels. As a hitter continues to grow and understand what they are trying to accomplish and as they mature the term Quality At-Bat will have different meanings. Below is a breakdown of what a Quality At-Bat should look like but also what you are trying to accomplish with each one. If you have a team full of guys that are working in the box and successfully putting together Quality At-Bats, then there is a very good chance you will have a huge amount of team success.
Defined – An at-bat that makes a positive contribution towards our
• Executing a hit/run – SAC bunt/Sac-Drag/Squeeze
• Executing a bunt for a hit
• Walk – 99% of the time unless you have an opportunity to drive in a run and you pass the bat to the next guy!
• Hit by pitch!
• Moving a runner from 2nd base to 3rd base with zero outs
• Driving in a run from 3rd base with less than 2 outs
• Any RBI (Sac fly, 2 out RBI, etc.)
• All hard-hit balls on the line or on the ground
o NOTE: All base hits are not QAB’s
o Ex. Bloop hits – We want HARD contact.
• 8 pitch at-bats
• See 4 or more pitches after you are down 0 – 2 in the count
***Team Goal: To have a .500 team QAB average!